alf application faq
Working with the Cash Flow Forecast
- Where can I download a new template?
- How do I figure out when to pay the loan back?
- Where do I find my “opening cash balance”?
- What do these budget line items mean?
- Where do I list in-kind contributions?
- I need to forecast more months than the sheet shows. How do I insert more columns?
- You know what? I kinda like this thing. How can I save it and adapt it to my organization?
Have a question you don’t see answered here? Contact us!
Where can I download a new template?
Download ALF Cashflow Template
How do I figure out when to pay the loan back?
Loans are due when the collateral source is received, so check with your funder to see when the money will be coming in, then enter that date in the cash flow forecast.
Payment should be made
- no later than six months from the date of loan
for Individual Artist, Secured and Benefit/Performance loans
- no later than 24 months from the date of loan
for Opportunity loans
The cash flow spreadsheet checks the date you enter to see if it falls within these guidelines and prompts you if the date falls outside the guidelines.
Where do I find my “opening cash balance”?
- Look at your organization’s balance sheet for the period two months before your requested loan date
[Example: a loan requested for August will use the June balance sheet]
- Add up all the amounts listed under “Cash”
- Enter that number as the “opening cash balance”
What do these budget line items mean?
The types of expenses listed in the cash flow forecast are the same as the ones required by the California Cultural Data Project. An explanation of each item can be found here.Add any explanatory notes in the right hand column entitled “Notes.”
If you have any questions about how to use these line items in your ALF application, please contact the Arts Loan Fund for assistance, not the Cultural Data Project.
Where do I list in-kind contributions?
Leave them out of this forecast. The ALF only needs to see cash income and expenses.
I need to forecast more months than the sheet shows. How do I insert more columns?
The cash flow forecast is protected so no columns or rows can be inserted. Contact the Arts Loan Fund to request a modified template.
You know what? I kinda like this thing. How can I save it and adapt it to my organization?
The spreadsheet can be saved with a new name and unlocked by selecting a tab and choosing “Tools” from the menu. Highlight “Protection => Unprotect Sheet.” Voila!